Explore our cover levels to find the perfect fit for you and your 4-legged friend.
A policy to suit every need and budget
We offer six different policies for cats and dogs. From Accident Only, Time-Limited and Maximum Benefit cover, through to 3 levels of Lifetime cover for complete peace of mind.
|Features and Benefits||Bronze Accident Only Cover||Silver Time Limited Cover||Gold Maximum Benefit Cover||Prime Lifetime Cover||Premier Lifetime Cover||Premier Plus Lifetime Cover|
|Vet fee limit||£2,250||£3,000||£4,000||£2,500||£4,000||£8,000
|Vet fee excess||£125 or £275||£125 or £275||£125 or £275||£125 or £275||£125 or £275||£125 or £275
|Voluntary excess||0% or 20%||0% or 20%||0% or 20%||0% or 20%||0% or 20%||0% or 20%
|Vet fee inner limits||Up to £500||Up to £3,000||Up to £4,000||Up to £2,500||Up to £4,000||Up to £8,000
|Dental cover (accident)||£250||£3,000||£4,000||£2,500||£4,000||£8,000
|Death of pet (accident)||Up to £250||Up to £500||Up to £1,000||Up to £1,000||Up to £1,500||Up to £1,500
|Death of pet (illness)||Up to £250||Up to £500||Up to £1,000||Up to £1,000||Up to £1,500||Up to £1,500
|Third party liability||£1,000,000||£1,000,000||£1,500,000||£1,500,000||£1,500,000||£2,000,000
|Loss and recovery||£250||£750||£1,000||£1,000||£1,500||£1,500
|Learn more >||Learn more >||Learn more >||Learn more >||Learn more >||Learn more >|
Whichever policy you select you’ll receive a whole host of benefits and features. Including a 10% multi-pet discount, direct vet payment and much more.
24/7 Vet careline
We know that your pet is part of your family. That’s why included in any cover you take out with us you’ll have access to our 24/7 Vet Careline. This gives you all day, every day access to speak online or over the phone with RCVS qualified vet nurses.
94% claims paid
If the unfortunate situation arises where you need to make a claim, we can assist by paying your claim fast and efficiently and often payments can be made directly to your vet. We paid 94% of all claims submitted in 2022.
Switching without the wait
It hasn’t always been easy to switch your pet cover, but we’re changing that. Most providers will impose a 14-day wait time for illnesses if you switch, but so long as you are an existing pet insurance holder when you switch to us, we won’t.
We are pleased to introduce our new 20% Voluntary Excess option across our range of pet insurance policies.
The polices all retain their same extensive levels of cover and benefits, but may suit customers who want a more flexible pet insurance product by offering savings on their monthly / annual premium.
What is a voluntary excess?
Alongside paying the compulsory excess on your policy, an additional voluntary excess is an amount you’re willing to pay towards the cost of a claim.
Should your pet need any veterinary treatment, we would cover 80% towards the treatment costs and you would contribute the remaining 20%.
By contributing 20% towards the cost of each claim, we are able to reduce the price of your premium.
Let’s take a look at an example
The compulsory excess is the amount you have to pay towards a claim and will be applied to each condition you claim for.
Let’s say you have a policy with a £125 compulsory excess alongside a 20% voluntary excess and you are submitting a claim for a £1,000 vet bill.
You would pay £300 against the cost of the claim and Scratch and Patch would pay £700. Here’s a breakdown:
- Starting Vet Fees: £1,000
- Pet owner compulsory excess: £125
- Pet owner 20% voluntary excess: (20% of remaining £875): £175
- Scratch & Patch pays: £700
- Pet owner pays: £300
The inclusion of a voluntary excess means that in addition to the compulsory excess for vet fees a policy holder will be required to pay when they make a claim, they will also be required to pay 20% of the remainder of the claim.
What are the benefits?
Including a voluntary excess on your policy gives you the flexibility to reduce your premium and help with your monthly budget.
When you complete a quote, you will be given the option to either include or exclude a 20% voluntary excess on your policy. At the ‘Premium’ step of the quote journey, we show you show your quoted premium, which will automatically re-calculate, depending on which option you choose.
Who is voluntary excess available to?
The option to add a 20% voluntary excess is available on all Scratch & Patch policies^ for the following customers:
- New customers quoting via our website
- Existing policy holders at renewal
- The policy renewal will be invited in it’s current position i.e. without a voluntary excess.
- Should they wish to, a customer can request their policy renewal to include a 20% voluntary excess.
If you have any questions regarding voluntary excess and how it may benefit you and your Scratch & Patch pet insurance policy, you can contact our customer service team via:
Tel: 0330 102 6839 (Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm)