Pet insurance policies are designed to provide insurance for unexpected, accidental, non-routine or non-preventative situations. They are not comprehensive health insurance plans but form part of the overall care package for your pet.
As with other insurance policies Scratch & Patch have exclusions for each section of cover which are fully described in the policy and include;
- Pre-existing conditions – those which your pet already has before the policy starts.
- Illness claims for conditions starting in the waiting period – explained above.
- The excess – this is the first part of any claim which you will have to pay.
- Routine and preventative treatment – such as vaccinations, neutering, worm tick & flea treatments, grooming, claw clipping and routine dental treatment.
- Pregnancy and giving birth – such as pregnancy check-ups or related visits, giving birth and the treatment of the puppies or kittens. The offspring will need to be insured separately once old enough and are not covered by the parents policy.
- Death, euthanasia and loss and recovery cover ceases at 8 years of age for dogs and 10 years of age for cats.
The following dogs are not eligible for this insurance and are excluded from all cover:
- Any dog used for trade, profession or business except Assistance Dogs.
- Any dog used for guarding, racing, coursing or beating whether for business or recreational purposes.
The following dogs, as outlined in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, are specifically excluded from cover under any section of the policy:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Japanese Tosa / Tosa Inus
- Dogo Argentino (also referred to as Argentine Dogo and Argentinian Mastiff)
- Fila Brasileiro
Including any “type”, as defined in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, considered to match the description of a prohibited “type”; any breed crossed with the above; and any other breed or type deemed to be dangerous by the Secretary of State and subsequently added to the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.
The following types/breeds and/or any dog crossbred from these are also excluded from cover under any section of the policy:
- American Bandogge / Bandogge Mastiff
- Australian Dingo
- Bully Kutta
- Canadian Inuit
- Canary Dogs / Perro De Pressa Canarios/ Presa Canarios
- Cane Corsos
- Central Asian Shepherd Dog
- Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs / Sarlooswolfhounds / Wolf Hybrids
- Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Racing Greyhounds
If your dog is found to be an excluded dog we will cancel your policy, refuse all claims and keep any premium you have paid and charge you the cancellation fee.