Time to read: 4 mins
Keep calm and Christmas proof your house
Christmas is a time filled with excitement, fun and family gatherings. Some animals adapt to the change in routines, but others may find this added attention, noise and excitement hard to handle and a little stressful. So, it’s good to provide them with somewhere quiet to retire to if it all gets a bit too much. Try to keep your pet in their normal routine to help them feel calm and stress free.
Don’t over indulge your pampered pooches or curious cats over the festive season – dietary consistency is the key to a happy, healthy Christmas.
Unfortunately, many of the delights we associate with Christmas time are not so delightful for our pet’s long term health. You’d be amazed what a cat or dog can and will eat. If they aren’t insured yet, you can get a quote here.
Curious cats and daring dogs have an amazing ability to get their paws into things they really shouldn’t. Below is a list of the most common causes of Christmas chaos….
- The water around the Christmas tree can be toxic to pets so it’s best to keep this covered up.
- Stuffing can be a problem, especially if it contains onions, shallots, leeks, garlic or nuts. It can also swell up and cause dietary upsets and stomach aches.
- Chocolate – Best avoided – mild, dark and coco can all be poisonous to our pets. White chocolate is not poisonous but the fat and sugar levels can cause dietary upsets.
- Alcohol –poisonous to pets even in small quantities.
- Raisins, mince pies and Christmas cakes should all be avoided as the dried fruits are considered to be poisonous.
- Batteries – strangely some pets take a liking to batteries so keep them out of harms reach.
- Cable ties, wire twists and all those lovely attachments used to secure toys into their boxes are strangely attractive to our pets.
- Christmas lights – cats love to climb trees and some take great delight from finding a readymade climbing frame in their house. Always switch off and unplug the lights when unattended in case your pet decides to have a nibble on the wires.
- Tinsel, decorations, string and elastic bands – yes our feline friends and pampered pooches like to taste test these sparkly, stretchy items.
- Holly, Ivy, mistletoe and poinsettias – yes you guessed it….not pet friendly so keep out of their reach.
- Xylitol –a low-calorie sweetener obtained from plants is found in many different food products but is poisonous for your pet if they eat it
Keep an eye out for anti-freeze and grit on the pavements and roads during the colder months. Both are bad news for pets so check their paws carefully when they come back in.
Don’t get caught out in the cold….. Older dogs will really benefit from wearing a coat to help keep them warm and mobile.
Finally, don’t forget to stock up on any prescription medications well in advance of the holiday season and if your pet is likely to suffer from New Year firework frenzy now is a good time to prepare by speaking to your veterinary nurse for advice. If you are a Scratch & Patch customer call our 24/7 365 careline for advice.