Protecting your pet in times of stress
Let’s look at how we can keep our pets happy and safe during the upcoming holidays. As there are more people on the streets at night dressed in various costumes that might inadvertently frighten your furry friend. As such it may be sensible to keep your pet indoors on Halloween night or times of loud noises out of the ordinary such as fireworks.
It helps to make sure your pet has a ‘safe place’ where they feel secure. A bed or crate that can be covered on top and three sides, in a quiet place works well for dogs. It’s a good idea to keep cats indoors after dark too. A startled pet could run away out of their normal territory and get lost, or even run into a busy road if a firework goes off nearby. You should also check that visitors have closed garden gates when they leave.
Keeping our treats away from your pet
Some human treats might be delicious to us but they can be harmful to our pets if they ingest them.
- Chocolate should be kept for humans only as it’s poisonous to dogs and cats.
- Some sweets contain a sweetener called xylitol which is toxic.
- Dogs that eat wrappers and packaging to get to the tempting food inside, could develop a serious internal blockage.
- Any food made with raisins, grapes or sultanas can cause fatal kidney failure in dogs.
- Even the humble toffee apple can be a problem if the stick is eaten, while the toffee apple itself could be a choking hazard.
- Candles can be made with essential oils, waxes and paraffins that can all cause harm to your pet if they chew or swallow them.
- Glow sticks and glow-in-the-dark jewellery or toys contain a bitter substance that can irritate your dog’s eyes and skin. This makes them drool and gag – they are not toxic but not much fun for the dog so it’s best to make sure they can’t reach them.
- If your pooch likes to dress up as a pumpkin, or maybe a little devil at Halloween, remember costumes can be a fire hazard so always keep well away from naked flames.
No matter what time of the year it is you will want your pet to be protected. Have a look at our wide range of cover levels to find a plan that suits you and your pet best. Get a free quote today.