1. Home
  2. Community
  3. Inspiration
  4. Pet Travel Post Brexit

Pet travel post Brexit

Time to read: 8 mins


As lockdown begins to lift and the thought of travel creeps back into our minds, we may want to take our pets travelling with us. Since Britain has now left the EU there have been some changes regarding our pets and the rules surrounding them travelling.

Travelling with your pet after Brexit

As of 1st January 2021, the UK will become a Part 2 Listed Country regarding the European Union and pet travel. This means that anyone travelling to, or through, Europe with a pet cat, ferret or dog (including assistance dogs) will no longer be able to use their UK issued Pet Passport.

Animal Health Certificate (AHC)

To travel from 1st January 2021 pets will need to be issued with an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) this can only be issued by an Official Vet (OV). The AHC must be used within 10 days of issue and it is only valid for a single trip. It will be valid for return to the UK within 4 months of issue. Once the pet has entered the EU it will be valid onward travel within the EU for 4 months or when the rabies vaccine expires.

The AHC is only valid for the travel of non-commercial dogs, cats and ferrets. A maximum of 5 pets will be allowed to travel with their owners. This is unless the purpose of travel is for competitions, shows, sporting events or training. You will need written evidence of registration to prove this.

To qualify for an AHC pets must be microchipped and be vaccinated against rabies a minimum of 21 days before travel. Pets must be 12 weeks old to have a rabies vaccine. If the pet is remaining in the EU for the duration of the stay, they no longer need to have a rabies blood test.

Returning to the UK

In order to return to the UK dogs must be given a tapeworm treatment 24 to 120 hours before travel. This must be administered and recorded by a veterinary surgeon.

If you are a UK national living in the EU and plan to travel with a UK issued Pet Passport you should speak to your vet. They will help to ensure you are compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

If you have any questions about travelling with your pet be sure to contact our Registered Veterinary Nurses on the Scratch & Patch Careline. They will be able to answer any questions you may have.

When taking our pets out of the country they will require various vaccinations and treatments to keep them, and other animals that they come into contact with, safe. In order to make sure your pets are covered not only with their vaccinations, but should accident or injury occur, have a look at our wide range of cover levels to find one that suits you and your pet best.

Scratch & Patch Characters

See how we can help cover your pets from injuries and illnesses.

Learn more

Scratch & Patch Characters

Get your 4-legged friend covered today

Get a quote

Related articles


How is my cat feeling?

Cats can’t tell us how they’re feeling but they can show us. Have a look at the signs to look out for to get a read on your kitty.
Read more >

Crate training your dog

Crates are a great tool to help train your puppy, provided they are used correctly. Have a look at how to begin crate training your puppy.
Read more >
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap