2. keyboard_arrow_right
  3. Community
  4. keyboard_arrow_right
  5. Member stories
  6. keyboard_arrow_right
  7. Meet Audrey, Wilf & Alf

Audrey, Wilf and Alf

Time to read: 8 mins

What made you get Wilf and Alf in the first place?

We’ve had Boxers in our family since my children were young, Wilf was our third. Our first Boxer died when she was only four years old, leaving her companion (our second Boxer, Monty, only eighteen months old at the time) very lonely and sad. We got Wilf as a puppy to keep him company, and they had nearly twelve fun-filled years together. Since then, we’ve adopted and fostered Boxers from rescue organisations, and currently have three, including Alf who is completely deaf.

How did you choose Boxers?

Boxers are fantastic people dogs- high energy, playful, mischievous, sensitive, affectionate and loyal.

What is the most rewarding thing you have found about owning a pet?

The unconditional love. There is never a dull moment with three Boxers in the household. They make you smile even when you’re at your gloomiest!

Have you encountered any problems (illnesses, behavioural, social) with Wilf and Alf?

Wilf and Alf have both had injuries which have required investigation and treatment. Wilf had a cruciate ligament repair recently, and Alf had a minor spinal injury probably caused by boisterous play! Boxers can get very over-excited at times, you need to know their boundaries, but they’re also very keen to please and have their good behaviour rewarded with treats and cuddles!

What is your top tip for people thinking about adding a pet to their family?

Make sure you are able and prepared to commit time and money to your pet, as well as love. Unfortunately, “All you need is love” is not true where animals are concerned! Vet bills and food are costly, and if you work or like to travel, you need to work around your pets’ needs so they don’t feel abandoned or scared. Sadly many animals end up in rescues, not because they are unloved, but because their humans are unable to provides the physical and financial care they need.

Do you have any funny stories to share with us about Wilf and Alf?

Alf drives me crazy with all of the fur he sheds. He is our seventh Boxer, he is also white, and I have never known any of our dogs before him to shed as much hair! I dutifully sweep up everyday, comb his coat regularly and throw the hair and dust mixture out into the garden. Last summer I found a perfectly globe-shaped little birds nest on the ground, and when I inspected it closely I found it was interwoven and lined with the softest angora-like white fur. Alf, you’re forgiven! What a cosy little nestlings it must have been.

Scratch & Patch Characters

See how we can help cover your pets from injuries and illnesses.

Learn more

Scratch&patch-Boxer
Scratch&patch-Boxer
Scratch&patch-Boxer
Scratch & Patch Characters

Get your 4-legged friend covered today

Get a quote

Related articles

Kelly and Willow

Meet Kelly and Willow

Homekeyboard_arrow_rightMember StoriesKelly and WillowMember name: KellyPet name: WillowPet breed: MoggiePet age: 14 years1. What made you get Willow in the first place? I grew up with cats in our house…
Read more >
Frankie

Meet Frankie & Maxwell

Frankie and MaxwellTime to read: 8 mins What made you get Maxwell in the first place?  I adopted him when he was a tiny kitten from someone who was moving…
Read more >
Menu
Share via
Copy link