Time to read: 6 mins
How does pet insurance work in the UK?
We are a nation of pet lovers. For us, our cats and dogs are our families, looking out for their care and well-being is one of the most important things we do on a daily basis.
It’s inevitable that pets will become ill or suffer injuries that need medical attention, where you’ll need to find good veterinary care.
Some issues can be minor while others can be life-threatening. Treatment costs can begin to mount up and you can end up paying out a lot of money. This guide gives you a background on how insurance can help to protect both your pets and your bank account.
When should you get pet insurance?
Ideally, as soon as your pet joins you and your family in his or her new home. Although many pet policies can’t be taken out until the cat or dog is five weeks old, this is usually when puppies and kittens are weaned and before many go to their forever homes.
If you adopt a pet from a shelter or charity, again, it is worth taking out pet insurance straight away to protect your cat or dog from the beginning.
Insuring kittens and puppies whilst they are young can be beneficial because it’s less likely that they will have existing health issues. Finding insurance for older cats and senior dogs does become more difficult as the older they are the more likely they are to have medical problems. It is rare to find cover for cats and dogs with pre-existing medical conditions as most providers exclude them. Although we do offer pre-existing conditions for pets under our Champ policies.
Benefits of pet insurance in the UK:
- You have peace of mind that your pet is safe and will be well taken care of
- You know how much the costs will be to you and how much costs will be handled by the insurer
- Your pet will get adequate care and be treated as a valued pet
- Some policies include third party and accidental damage cover in case your pet damages property or injures people
- Dental insurance when your pet suffers from an accident or injury can help to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent more serious conditions from developing.
- Payment can be made directly to your vet to save on life admin
Cover will vary by insurer so always make sure you check thoroughly and understand what you are buying to ensure that the cover is right for you and your pet.
Some tips to save you money
- Explore the different cover levels available, accident only cover is always the cheapest option while lifetime cover offers the most comprehensive cover but will be more expensive. Explore all our cover options.
- Get your pet micro-chipped.
- Keep up to date with vaccinations and know their schedule so you don’t miss any.
- Multi-pet discounts, it’s always better to take advantage of this if you have more than 1 pet in your household.
- Have your pet spayed or neutered.